Saturday, May 16, 2015

Paying it forward


In my early 20s, during one of our last family trips to Florida with my parents and brothers, we were headed to Busch Gardens on New Years Eve.  Ted and I were walking ahead of the other three and were approached by a couple of college-aged kids as we neared the ticket gate.  They said that they worked there and had two free passes that expired that day.  They said that they weren’t supposed to do this, but that if we wanted the tickets, they’d give them to us. 

And they did.  No catch; no strings.  Just two free passes.  I remember thinking, “Sweeeeetttt!  Ted and I just awesomely scored some free passes!  We are so cool!”

Fairly recently, my mom reminded me of the event, but her take on it was a bit different.  She remembered the gratitude that she felt, that those two kids had decided to give away those vouchers, two slips of paper that had cost them nothing and could be easily discarded as having no value.  But instead, they looked around and found two people to give them to.  They saved us (my folks) around $150 that day.

This morning, Evie and I arrived at the zoo with some free passes that expired today.  I looked around the entrance and found a group who appeared to be waiting for others to arrive.  I asked if they were members (members get in free and wouldn’t need passes).  When they said no, I asked how many people were in their group.  Eight.  I handed them our seven free passes.  The woman just looked at me, probably expecting the catch.  I simply said, “They expire today, so if you can use them, they’re yours.”  She stared at me, dumbfounded.  I smiled at her, and we walked away.

I think I get it now. I didn’t need to search for those vouchers and bring them along today.  I didn’t have to be brave (for me) and approach a random group of people and offer them something of value to them but not of value to me.  Those slips of paper could still be in my drawer tomorrow, expired and useless, like so many of the coupons I’ve stuffed in there.

I hope they enjoy their day.  It makes me feel good to think I might have helped a little.

No comments: